Monday 30 March 2009

I write when sober

That's the way I write stories and poems. They often start off on paper in a notebook, often messy to start with. I write in my notebook anytime of the day or night -- well, when an idea comes.

It's safer to write on paper when I'm still coming down or drunk. And if you're drinking shots at the same time as writing down the new ideas -- dudes, it's fun.

Quickly I type it up in words and build up each line with the right words (I hope) when sober. Not when I'm drunk or coming down -- that's when the ideas come to me.

Once the story's ideas have been typed into words, more ides come -- some as I'm typing or reading what I have written. The words just come from nowhere.

A poem could take 30 minutes or 1 day or 2 days. Often I'm thinking about the poem or 5 poems or 10 poems I'm often working at the time. When I'm doing something else better, ideas often come when I'm away from the computer.

It's the same with the novel -- I write each paragraph as if it's a short story or a poem. So far there's 21405 words I have written.

The ideas have changed a few time since class has started. I have fianlly come up with a better ending and desires for each characters.

That's how it's with me.

Steven Clark

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Steven. I do have to say that I worked for a while in a community with a few people who were doing dope, and they were far less productive -- far less productive -- than those of us who weren't.

    When you're doing other things, and those great ideas come, do you jot them down? I find that if I don't, I lose them. I can tell myself I won't, and try, try, try to remember them, but I ultimately don't, and then I'm left kicking myself!

    Tracey

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.