Monday 11 May 2009

I have a writing process?

I'd like to say that I always write at a particular time of day or I do x amount of planning before strapping myself into the chair and churning out a few thousand words of gold each and every afternoon, but unfortunately, it would all be lies. Horrible, horrible lies!

In reality, I write either just before a deadline or during a sudden surge of creativity, which only seems to come on when I'm supposed to be someplace else.

I do plan a bit, so, when one of these bouts of creativity comes on, I've got an idea of what it is I need to be writing about.

I have lists of things stuck up all over my study, prompting me to start such and such or read this, research that. It's pathetic really, but keeps me aware of what needs to be done.

Personal wellbeing is also a major factor in my writing process. If I've been out doing the whole social thing, I don't even bother sitting at the computer until I can get the cobwebs cleared out. This can be a day, maybe two, three after the really big occasions (birthday bashes, social gatherings, Friday nights, Saturday nights, Sundays afternoons etc.).

All joking aside, I've really put a focus on setting little goals this year. If I put something on a list, I want it to be crossed off by the end of the week. The deadline idea is something that really works for me and the added pressure forces me to get off my duff and actually do something.

I've just realised I have used the words 'I' and 'my' enough times to rival a Dermott Brereton newspaper article, so it is best I put an end to this drivel and sum up.

Make lists. Give yourself deadlines. Ditch your friends and family. Give TV the arse. These are my lesson unto you, use them wisely.

John King

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, John. Don't worry: I think most of us rely on deadlines. I see it all the time with competitions or with _Poetrix_ -- the big flood of last-minute entries. And I do it myself too.

    So, if a deadline works for you, then creating one seems smart. So are lists. Not pathetic at all.

    Good advice at the end. Ah, yes, if we all just learnt to use that off button on the TV...

    Tracey

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.